Thursday, April 28, 2011

The 207.

And, no, not the car. A few days ago, just before I crossed the border in Namibia, I was beaten up by 3 guys. It was my old nemesis, Headwind, and his two friends, Cold and Rain. And they beat me up with 207km of hard riding. What can I say? Even I have limits. I am pleased to report, though, that my limits are way farther than 207. I did the whole day, including 130km by myself into some of the worst storms I have seen. We had hail, rain, lightning and some ridiculous wind. I had to bike with my head down because the rain was flying horizontally. At maximum leg output, I was going 22km/h, which is a little slower than my normal 33km/h. Anyway, I made it and I am now safely in Namibia! The rain, unfortunately has decided not to stop. They have been having unseasonal rains here that are incredible. I was eating in a cafe after a race one day and it was raining so hard, the water in the streets was over the curb. Apparently, Windhoek (German for "windy corner"), the capital receives 600mm of rain annually. This year, they are already at 1000mm. Hurray. :( So, now it's not only going to be cold, but also rainy. Good thing I just lost my sweater.

On a happier note, my racing career was short and sweet. I finished this section 4th, I believe and I actually came first in a stage! I'm not sure if the web page has been updated, but I won stage 76, a 157km race. I think I did it in about 4.5 hours. So, I am rather pleased with myself. However, now that we are entering the desert again, there will be some stuff to see, so I handed in my racing chip. A short and sweet career indeed.

Tonight, I will be eating at Joe's Beer House, where they serve game meat. I am going to have a platter called the bushman's platter, which is basically a sampler of different meats. I have been eating as many animals as I possibly can, so I can already add these to my list: Gemsbok, kudu, oryx. Tonight I can hopefully add zebra to that list.

So, I'm not sure if I am going to be able to post again before I'm done. We are heading into the Namibian desert, where I imagine internet to be scarce. I only have two more rest days anyway. Plus, the places we're staying are going to be in the middle of nowhere, apparently. So, in case of no more posts, I would just like to thank everyone for their continuing support of me on this tour. I've said it before, but there is no way I could have finished this tour without knowing I have an awesome team behind me at home. So, thank you everyone for all your kind messages and words of support. Also, I apologize for getting too drunk at the finish line. Please excuse any pictures you might see of me on the net. And if you want to see my beard, do so ASAP, cause I hate it and it's coming off as soon as I get home.

Danimal

6 comments:

  1. Egad, not good cycling weather! A 207-km jaunt under those conditions is not a pleasant thought. It’s a good thing you’re stubborn ... I mean determined. Another accomplishment to add to your list.

    If it’s any comfort (and I doubt that it will be), weather has been bad in North America, also. Hundreds of people have died in two waves of dozens of tornadoes that swept across the US Midwest and South, including over 250 people last night alone. Ottawa has been on the receiving end of these storms, with a tornado warning yesterday (which thankfully didn’t come to fruition), torrential rains, and heavy winds. Today’s winds have brought down trees, fortunately not on our house but on at least one house on Keenan.

    However, enough about us! It’s good to hear that you’ve retired from racing on a high note. Who knows when you’ll next get to Namibia?

    Only Namibia and South Africa left ... it’s difficult to believe that TdA 2011 is almost over (I say from the comfort of my armchair). I’m still jealous, and immensely proud, that you took on this challenge and that you have coped with all the trials it has thrown at you, as well as others (such as racing) that you’ve taken on yourself. You have an appreciative audience waiting to see you (and the hairy friend living on your face) and to hear your tales.

    Keep well, and enjoy the rest of the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel everythime you mention the internet all I can think abot is Randy. I picture a Randy/ Daniel hybridlooking for scraps of internet and then...well you know the episode. Second, do not get rid of the beard. We can be beard brothers for a while when I get back. Third, you would get beaten up by a little wind. Back in my day I had to walk to school in 33mph wind everyday, uphill. Also you need to eat Gorilla. Remember that conersation we had with Pat? I lookdit up and people do eat Gorilla and I believe you are one of those people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do NOT eat gorilla! This is your mother speaking.

    OMG, the 207 km day sounds like the most brutal of all. Yet, you did it. I second your father. Great job! It takes more perserverance and guts than I would ever have. As for the racing, you rock!!! You tried it. You did it. You conquered it. And, you excelled at it. Well done, Daniel.

    We leave Prague tomorrow. It has been a lovely city and we have really appreciated having a couple of friends here to show us around. Rhonda and I are drinking beer like it's going out of style. Off to Munich again tomorrow where we'll meet up with Steffi and Alex (whom I met in South Africa).

    If you don't post again, have a TERRIC end of journey. Enjoy Cape Town and I can't wait to see you. Please extend an invitation to all your new friends from TDA to come and visit us in Canada.

    lots of love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Woot! Props to you dear friend! And see you soon. :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete