Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Determination>Training

So, I have just completed my 4th day of cycling. At present time, my odometer is up to 540km. With 170 of that being in one day. And it was a 170kms into a headwind. That was a tough day, but what can I say, I'm durable. Anyway, I made it out of Cairo ok, and went past the pyramids, which are very impressive. It's wild to think that they are almost 5000 years old! Our engineers now can't even make a building last 100 years. The first day of cycling (135km) was alright, a few ups and downs, but nothing I can't handle. The second day (173km) was tough. We cycled along the Red Sea for most of the day, which gave us some brutal head winds. There was a lot see. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but my camera transfer gear is locked away in a truck until the 21st. The third day was not as bad. Another 130 or 135km. We went past some more desert. Then some more. And then... Some more. A lot of sand. I have been pretty meticulous with cleaning my bike though. I'm trying to ride EFI (every f**king ich) which means you don't get picked up by the truck at all, so I want my bike to last as long as possible. Today was the 4th day. It was an "easy" 95km. I say easy with quotes because I never thought I would say cycling alomst 100km was easy.

We've had a few hickups along the road already. Someone showed up with no bike because someone at the Madrid airport stole it. And no, it was not lost, it was stolen. Too bad, because his bike cost him $5000. There was a rim broken in transport for another poor guy. Also (mom, don't freak) one of our riders was hit by a semi as we cycled along the red sea. He is ok, just a little bit of a bent bike and a broken rim. And last night (night 3), we endured a sand storm. It was pretty miserable. It was the worst the staff has seen since the company started the tour. My tent blew over just as it started raining. However, I possess a Gore-tex sleeping bag cover, so I just left the tent down on top of me and went back to bed. I did wake up with a smile on my face, though, because I had just weathered a sandstorm and was ok. How many people can say that? My tent did have enough sand in it to make my own beach though. Also, my nice clean bike was buried in my beach.

Some people have commented that it's cold in Ottawa. I believe you, but it is also f**king cold here. I end up wearing most of the clothes that I have until the sun comes up and even then I'm only warm if I'm biking. I had the impression it was supposed to be hot here. So, if anyone tells you the desert is hot and dry, they are lying. It's cold and wet (has rained twice). I didn't even bring my sweats :(

To Paul: I would have thanked you for that stuff, but I haven't had a flat yet. Or a shower for that matter. I plan on it tonight. We're staying on a hotel beach and the tour has rented 4 rooms we can use to crap and shower. I'm not gonna stay in the hotel though, cause I'm a cheap bastard. We have two more days of cycling through the desert until we hit Luxor, a large tourist town where I can do laundry, shower and sleep in a bed with a pillow. If I rent a room.

A couple of side notes: 1. The locals in Egypt are very supportive of the tour. They always drive past and honk and give us a wave or a thumbs up or something. It's very cool. I also got mobbed by about 10 young women (about 11 or 12 years old) while I was eating lunch one day wanting to take their picture with me.
2. People like riding is groups (a peleton) because it cuts down on wind resistance. I tried, and it sucks. You are so focused on not hitting the person in front of you, you miss all the scenery. I have seen way more than many people here because I've ridden solo every day. It gets lonely, but it makes you push yourself even harder. I remembered a quote as I was riding the 170km day: "The difference between impossible and possible is a man's determination" That helped me get through the day (all 9 hours of riding).
3. Today (day 4) we had a tail wind and I booked it down a hill and got up to 65km/h! What a rush!
4. Some non-serious thank yous: Squats, leg press, dieting, Gore-tex, tailwinds, sweatpants, pillows.

Anyway, my time here is running out, so I'll update again in Luxor if I get the chance! Dad, happy belated birthday!

Mother nature: 0, Danimal: 1.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Daniel, I can picture the determination on your face as you fight the elements. Just think: all that time spent standing in trenches full of cold water finally paid off.

    On Google Maps (my mode of transportation on TdA), your route from Port Safaga to Qena looks very scenic. The road seems heavily travelled, but with a wide shoulder. Of course, unless gravity works differently in Egypt, going inland from the sea means going uphill, so pray for a sea breeze.

    One birthday present was "Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town", by Paul Theroux (also on TdA reading list). It'll be interesting to see how your experience compares to Theroux's.

    Your stories are great. Next time, please comment on (a) your bike seat and (b) your food intake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, "Thank god I'm not the one on this tour!" It sounds brutal but I know that you'll thrive on the challenge. I also remember you telling me that you do some long distances at the beginning and that most days will not be so hard.

    How's the food? Is everyone so tired that they just go to bed after dinner or do you sit around and socialize? Anybody else from Ottawa?

    Treat yourself to a room sometime - Luxor would be good. It could be a birthday present to yourself. Today is Grandma's 85th. I'll say hi to her for you and give her your blog site so she can read all about it!

    40th Annual Turkey was awesome! We had people come from Europe, England, Boston and Alberta as well as the usual regulars. Carolyn made candlestick holders out of wild turkey legs!!

    Think of you daily and love checking the blogs. Keep it coming!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete